Create Visible Watermarks In Photoshop CS5

by Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen on August 12, 2010

To deter misuse of your images, it’s important to add a visible watermark to your online images. Create a graphical watermark with Adobe Photoshop using these step-by-step instructions. Then apply it using Photoshop, Lightroom 3, or your favorite image editor.

Our Objective

We want to be able to apply our finished watermark to batches of images automatically. So, our basic approach in creating the watermark file will be to open an image, add text, modify the text so it will work well on all of our images regardless of size, then export it as a .png file.

The watermark is going to look different – more or less obvious – depending on the image to which it is applied, so we’re looking for a happy medium.

Learn Photoshop CS5

To learn more about Photoshop CS5, I recommend these three books:

Best Photoshop CS5 Book
Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: The Ultimate Workshop

by Martin Evening
Recommended Photoshop CS5 book The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby
Recommended Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book Adobe Photoshop CS5 One-on-One
by Deke McClelland

Support PhotoCitizen: any purchases made through one of the links on this page help to keep the knowledge flowing here at PhotoCitizen. And it doesn’t cost you a dime extra. Thanks.

Photoshop Watermarks Step-By-Step

Open and re-size an image

A watermark that doesn't quite fit a veritcal image

1. Open a vertical (portrait) image. Why a vertical? Our watermark needs to fit on both vertical and horizontal images. Since it will be placed horizontally across the image, a watermark that fits a vertical image will easily fit a horizontal image as well. If you create the watermark on a horizontal image, it could end up being too wide to fit your verticals. If you apply the watermark using Adobe Lightroom 3, the width of the watermark is not that important. Lightroom 3 allows you to automatically size the watermark to fit any size image.
    2. Re-size your image to fit on the web. I typically make my web-bound images 600 pixels on the longest side. So, a horizontal image would be 600 pixels wide by about 400 pixels tall. A vertical would be 400 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall.

Create the watermark

1. Now we’ll start on the actual watermark. Using Photoshop’s text tool, insert a text box that stretches across the image from left to right with it’s bottom edge somewhere around 100 pixels up from the bottom. You want some space between the bottom of the text box and the bottom of the image.
    2. Type your desired text. I suggest using the copyright symbol followed by either your name or the name of your website. For my watermark, I’ll use “© AlanHaynes.com” without the quotes. (Note: to make a copyright symbol on a Windows computer, hold the ALT key down while you type these numbers on the number pad: 0169. Use the number pad to the right of your keyboard, not the numbers above the letters. Make sure your Num Lock key is on. On the Mac, use the OPTION+g. Or you can use Photoshop’s Custom-Shape tool: one of the custom shapes available is “©”.)
Watermarking in Photoshop CS5

Adding the watermark text.

1. Now, with the text box still selected (if not, click the text layer in the layers palette to select it), select all the text using CTRL+a (COMMAND+a on the Mac). Change the text size to fill up the box. I used Myriad Pro as my font at a size of 90 points. The size you use will depend on the font you’re using. Change the text color to white. If your background image has a lot of white in it, the text may temporarily disappear, but we’ll fix that in a moment.
    2. Now we’ll style our text. Make sure the text layer is selected in the layers palette and click the Add Layer Style button (the fx button) at the bottom of the palette to open the layer styles dialog. From the drop-down menu choose Drop Shadow.
Watermarking in Photoshop CS5: Drop Shadow

Add a drop shadow

1. Adjust the drop shadow settings to your liking. For this watermark, I prefer setting the angle to 120, the distance and size to 1, spread to zero and leave everything else at its defaults. The object is to create a drop shadow so that the text is visible over any colored background including white.
    2. You can try applying some of the other styling options, although I usually prefer to stick with the drop shadow only. You might try Bevel and Emboss (especially Pillow Emboss with the direction set to Down). A one-pixel Stroke might look good too.
Watermarking in Photoshop: Adjust Opacity

Adjust the opacity.

1. Once you’ve applied the layer styles, adjust the opacity of the text layer. Start at about 20%. You want enough opacity so that the watermark is visible, but enough transparency so that it doesn’t distract too much from the image. You might want to open a few more of your images to see what the adjusted watermark looks like when applied to them.
    2. Experiment with the blending modes if you’d like. Overlay or Soft Light work well, but Normal is probably going to be your best choice if you plan on applying this watermark to batches of images rather than one at a time.
Watermarking in Photoshop CS5: crop the watermark

Cropped watermark

1. Once you’re happy with the watermark, it’s time to crop it. Turn off all layers except the watermark layer. It will be a bit difficult to see your semi-opaque watermark against the transparent background, so you might want to temporarily set the opacity back to 100%. Make sure you take note of the original opacity setting and reset it after you’re done cropping. Using the crop tool, crop the watermark layer to the size of the watermark eliminating everything but the watermark.  You can leave a small margin around it if you’d like.
Watermarking for the web

Save the watermark file

1. Click on Save for Web and Devices in the File menu and choose  PNG-24 as the format.  Make sure there is a check mark in the Transparency box. It is very important to have transparency in the watermark file. The transparency is what allows the image to show through making the watermark less obtrusive.
    2. Save the file to your desktop or another convenient spot with a descriptive name. I like to add the file dimensions to the file name. You can find the dimensions in the Save for Web and Devices box under Image size. I’ll name my file, watermark_338x57.png.

Applying the Watermark

1. To apply the watermark, you have a few choices. If you’re working with a small number of images, you can hand-apply it to each image one-at-a-time in Photoshop. This way you can fine-tune the placement and opacity to suit each image.
  2. Otherwise, you can apply the watermark to a batch of images using either Photoshop’s batch processor (File | Automate | Batch), an action or a droplet.

I’ll show you how to apply the watermark using all of these methods in my next article.

Conclusion

Watermarking is an important way to protect your images on the web. If you don’t own Photoshop, you can use any image editing program which allows you to add text and adjust its opacity. For example, ACDSee Pro 4 Photo Manager has a powerful watermarking feature.

If you own Adobe Lightroom 3, you don’t need Photoshop. Lightroom 3′s watermarking tools are powerful and easy to use.

Simple text watermarks – like the one we created in this article – can be created entirely in Lightroom 3. Read my article, “How to Create Text Watermarks in Adobe Lightroom 3,” to learn how.

Professional Image Editing Software

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

Adobe Photoshop CS5
Adobe Lightroom 3 Adobe Photoshop CS5

What do you think about watermarks? Do you use them? What software do you use to create and apply them? I’d like to hear from you. Type in the box below to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly

{ 23 comments }

1 Gary R October 27, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Everything works as you describe when I create the watermark file. However, when I close and reopen the file, the layer reads “Index” and the the color properties are now “Indexed Color.” When the layer reads “Index,” it won’t allow me to drag it onto an image. If I change the color properties to RGB, the text effect changes and it looks nothing like when I created it. Any thoughts? I would like to keep all my watermarks the same. :)

2 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen October 27, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Hello Gary,

PNG-8 files (and GIF files) are saved in the Indexed color mode. As you discovered, using these file types for your watermark file adds an extra step to the watermarking workflow. Instead, save your watermark file using the PNG-24 format which will be saved in the RGB color mode. The PNG-24 will be a much larger file (in file size) than the PNG-8, but in this case, the watermark file is a working file, not one which will be uploaded to the web, so its size doesn’t matter .

Thanks for catching this. I’ve changed the article and the accompanying photo.

-Alan

3 Gary Regulski October 30, 2010 at 6:08 am

Thanks Alan!

4 Melissa Meaker December 20, 2010 at 8:59 am

Hi Alan,

I just wanted to thank-you for your help with this article you wrote. I was trying to find a good article to help me make a watermark in Photoshop and thankfully stumbled across this one.

Melissa

5 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen December 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Hi Melissa,

Glad to help.

Alan

6 Nichol DelRosso March 14, 2011 at 10:25 am

Hi I have followed your steps for creating a watermark but when I turn off the others layers except for the water mark and try to crop it , it won’t allow me. I get a sliver and then everything becomes highlighted. PLease help. I thought your article was excellent and I wish I could complete this task.

Nichol

7 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen March 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Hi Nichol,

Without seeing your Photoshop file, it’s hard to determine the problem. When you choose the crop tool, a toolbar appears across the top of your Photoshop window – just under the menus. The toolbar has fields for Width, Height and Resolution. These should all be empty. If not, your crop will be constrained by whatever width and height are set in the toolbar. This might be what’s causing the “sliver” you mention. Click the toolbar’s Clear button to clear all the fields and try again.

Let me know if this helps,

Alan

8 Anita April 1, 2011 at 1:55 am

I re-size my photos (JPEG’s) prior to watermarking them.
I have the watermark action saved and it works great…..however I am wondering when I am doing a batch process – for each picture I need to select to save as a JPEG – then choose the JPEG options. Is there anyway to set it up so that it automatically will save your photo as a JPEG and avoid these last steps in the process????

9 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen April 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Hi Anita,

When you record the Photoshop action to add the watermark, just make sure that before you stop recording the action, you “Save for web and devices” and then close the image you’ve been working on. That will cause the action to include an Export step and a Close step at the end.

Now, when you run the batch using that action, Photoshop will fly through an entire folder of images without requiring any input from you. If you stop recording the action before saving the JPEG and closing it, you will have to do the save and close manually as you described.

Hope this helps,

Alan

10 MM May 16, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I am confused on how to “batch process” images with a watermark from the first steps to the last. I have foumnd bits and pieces of info for everyphotoshop ever created yet want to know “clear” and “simple” steps from A to Z on how to do this.

I have created a “watermark” as a brush so I am now able to stamp one at a time “Yikes” not cool for a “pile” of images.

Can some one please help?

Thanks Meredith

11 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen May 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hello MM,

Good question. I just published an article on this subject. It’s called “Batch Watermarking in Photoshop Using Actions and the Image Processor.”
Thanks for the idea,

Alan

12 Lorelei June 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for teaching me how to make a watermark! Saved me a lot of confusion and explained it well!

Keep it up!

Lorelei

13 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen June 30, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hi Lorelei,

Glad to help. That’s what I’m here for.

- Alan

14 Bianca July 19, 2011 at 2:41 am

worked exactly as you described it! i got a bit lost with a couple of actions but didn’t take long to figure it out. I’ve googled/Utubed how to do this amongst other things and yours is by far the easiest to follow. thankyou SO much!

15 Bianca July 19, 2011 at 2:52 am

and i spoke to soon… did work perfectly for the first photo! how do I get the watermark which i saved as the PNG-24 format onto my next photo exactly the same???? it’s so not working for me!!!!

16 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen July 19, 2011 at 3:40 am

Hi Bianca,

I talk about applying your new watermark in my article, “Adding Custom Watermarks to Your Photos With Adobe Photoshop CS5.“.

Let me know if that works for you or if you need more help.

Alan

17 Fiona July 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

This is a great article and having tried following a few others to watermark an image this is the only one that was successful! Really clearly explained – thank you!

Fiona

18 bharath October 19, 2011 at 11:51 pm

hi alan,

anyway the watermark created in photoshop as you said can be taken away by cloning tool n to make it a watermark less picture. is there a solution to it??????
because its not a permanent watermark as we wish to, can you please let us know if there is anything that can be done in this regard.
thanks in advance, awaiting your reply

19 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen October 20, 2011 at 9:57 am

Hello bharath,

There is no easy way to remove a watermark from a photo. The best thing to do is to contact the photographer and purchase or license the photo from them. The file they send you will be watermark-free.

Alan

20 bharath October 20, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Hi Alan,

Well actually you got my question wrong. I am a photographer and i am talking from a photographer’s side. what i said was that the watermark can be taken of by carefully applying the cloning tool, wch i tried myself and it works that way. what i am trying to ask is that, is there any other way to get out from it????

21 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen October 21, 2011 at 7:44 am

I think you’re asking about how a watermark can be removed from a photo. If that’s the case, then the difficulty in removing the watermark depends on where in the photo it is placed.

If it is placed in the bottom corner – which seems to be a popular spot for many photographers – it’s pretty easy to crop out without losing any important parts of the photo.

If the watermark is placed more towards the center, it will probably cover up an important element in the photo. It would take a skilled Photoshop user a long time to remove it.

Does that help?

Alan

22 bharath October 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

yah i guess, actually my cause of worry is the ways how the watermark could be taken out, but the idea u gave seems quite ok, ll try and let you know.

Thanks

23 Alan Haynes / PhotoCitizen October 26, 2011 at 11:26 am

bharath,

I suppose it’s possible to remove any watermark from a photo. It’s just a matter of how much time a person wants to invest in the process. I’m hoping that most image thieves are too lazy or unskilled to removed mine.

Alan

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: